Sing a Song
The Fuzzy Caterpillar
(Tune: "The Itsy Bitsy Spider")
The fuzzy caterpillar
Curled upon a leaf,
Spun her little chrysalis
And then fell asleep.
While she was sleeping,
She dreamed that she could fly,
And later when she woke up
She was a butterfly!
Nature Cat, Squeek’s Butterfly Friend
There are so many butterflies flying around in the spring! Bring some inside by making butterflies out of coffee filters. Color filters with washable markers, spray with a little water. When dry gather in the middle to make wings. Use pipe cleaners wrapped around the gathered middle of the filters for the body! You can also make butterflies by tracing each of your child’s hands for wings. Cut them out and glue them onto paper to resemble the wings of the butterfly.
Read a Book
Here are some book recommendations for today. Check out the picture book collection at your local library, where there are lots of books to choose from! Find nearby libraries
- Ten Magic Butterflies by Danica McKellar
- Handle with Care: an Unusual Butterfly Journey by Loree Griffin Burns; photography by Ellen Harasimowicz
- Butterflies by Christina Leaf
- The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
See the March Activity Calendar for many more fun, educational activities you and your child can do anytime!
- Learn about monarch butterflies from National Geographic for Kids!